COSTUME SHOP MANAGER
Reports to: Artistic Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience plus benefits (paid vacation, sick days, health insurance)
Start Date: Immediately
- • Facilitate costume needs for all company, junior company, and touring shows
- Experience in costume construction and alterations
- Knowledge of clothing construction, hand sewing and the operation of sewing machines
- Knowledge of costume shops and an interest in dance/theater
- Supervisory experience is preferred
- Must possess excellent organizational skills and the ability to work with others
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends
Grand Rapids Ballet, a ballet company based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, is seeking a full-time Costume Shop Manager. GRB produces new works by both emerging choreographers as well as established international artists. The Costume Shop Manager is responsible managing all day to day shop activities including personnel, supplies, inventory and equipment and will establish and maintain budgets. The Costume Shop Manager will collaborate with designers and choreographers on costume design and manage costume builds, patterning, cutting and construction of costumes. Fit purchased garments, patterned costumes and alter patterns as necessary. Determine materials list, garment construction procedures and labor hours.
Manage costume inventory, and costume repairs. Facilitate costume needs for touring. Manage dance shoe budget, inventory, distribution and stock. Hire and supervise additional freelance Costume Shop Staff as needed to complete all wardrobe-related tasks.
- • Extensive knowledge of costume history, construction techniques and fabric required
- • Knowledge of ballet history and traditions a plus
- • 3-5 years experience managing a costume shop preferred
- • Budgetary experience necessary
- • Strong verbal, quantitative, and organizational skills
- • Ability to work with artists, choreographers and designers and balancing the shop’s ability to complete the work on schedule
- • Strong personnel management skills required
- • Flexible, focused and well-organized team player
- • Ability to work quickly and accurately with attention to detail
- • Must be computer literate
- • Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- • Must be able to work nights and weekends, as required
- • Must be able to climb stairs and step ladders
- • Must have the ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- • Must be able to tolerate exposure to common laundry chemicals
- • Must be able to twist, turn, bend, and reach and work overhead
- • Must be able to push and pull heavy objects
Candidate should have 5+ years experience in costume shop management.
For more information or to apply, please contact Dawnell Dryja, artistic coordinator, at 616.454.4771 x29 or email her today.