Build and maintain an effective technical team to keep production standards high. Manage schedules, transportation, storage, rental and labor needs for productions at home and on tour. Responsible for generating and maintaining, along with the Artistic Director, production budgets. Stage manage for festivals and smaller touring productions.
- Manage all technical aspects of GRB productions, including schedules, lighting, sets, and crew.
- Manage rentals and transportation of production elements from outside vendors, including lighting packages, costumes, and sets.
- Manage rentals of Grand Rapids Ballet productions to other entities.
- Artistic Direction: Provide support and assistance to visiting choreographers, designers, and resident artistic staff.
- Build constructive and supportive relationships with technical team, create an environment that is conducive to creative governance and productive meetings; work with choreographers on helping their vision come to the stage.
- Provide leadership, guidance and support to the technical team ensuring good management practices; resolve personnel issues; foster healthy working relationships between crew, dancers and artistic leadership; ensure team work and collaboration.
- Maintain stock of rehearsal/performance supplies and materials, i.e. music, spike tape, flashlights, first aid supplies, etc.
- Generate and maintain a production budget in coordination with the artistic director and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
General Direction: Plans and arranges own work. Uses a wide range of procedures to accomplish assigned objectives.
Education & Experience:
- High School diploma required and Bachelor of Arts degree (Performing Arts) preferred.
- Professional theater experience in similar position is preferable.
- Driver’s License, preferably a chauffer’s License, and have access to a vehicle for transportation to and from company related events.
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to read music is a plus.
- Basic knowledge of dance is helpful.
- Ability to stage manage smaller productions is preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Theatrical Productions, technical as well as performance.
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral, and visual. Ability to effectively interact with a diverse range of personalities.
- Understanding of ETC Light boards, QLab, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to make the best decision for all aspects of a production in time sensitive situations. Objectively evaluates alternatives. Consistently select the alternative which most effectively achieves objectives.
- Is willing to make decisions; is willing to be held accountable for the results of decisions. Is able to perceive and diagnose the symptoms of problems; is able to clearly identify and define problems.
- Ability to work long hours and work with a flexible schedule.
- Must possess sufficient strength and stamina to lift and carry up to 50 pounds. Must be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting, bending, standing, climbing, and/or walking.
- Ability to work safely in an environment containing potentially hazardous electrical equipment, fumes, and/or materials. Must be willing to travel and work at various sites. May have to work at heights, around moving machinery, and with exposure to noise, vibration, and dust.
- Ability to drive a large vehicle and up to a 26’ truck.
- Management: Ability to achieve desired outcomes by organizing individuals and setting goals and priorities to deliver results.
- Organized: Ability to be structured and methodical in working skills, balancing multiple projects, and prioritizing.
- Decision Making: Ability to select an effective course of action by understanding issues, comparing solutions and drawing conclusions to resolve problems.
- Problem Solving: Ability to recognize courses of action which can be taken to handle problems or potential problems, and applying contingency plans to solve those problems. Creatively finding the solution while managing multiple priorities under stressful situations.
- Safety Awareness: Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety and uphold safety standards outlined by safety management.
- Patience: Ability to display good-nature tolerance of delay or adversity, and not being hasty when acting under strain.
- Interpersonal: Able to disseminate information to staff and design team in a clear manner
- Project Management: Ability to demonstrate an understanding of planning, organizing, delegation, staffing, directing and controlling work tasks.
- Self Motivated: Ability to reach a goal or perform a task with little supervision or direction.
The production manager position is full-time salaried. Salary will be based on experience, with a starting range of $45,000-$55,000. Employee benefits include health insurance provided in full by the company, unlimited paid time off (subject to approval), the ability to work from home one day per week, and periodic organization-wide mandatory paid vacation days (between Nutcracker and New Year’s).