Production Stage Manager
Build and maintain an effective technical team to keep production standards high. Responsible for generating and maintaining, along with the Artistic Director, production budgets. Call all score and movement-based cues for performances, both at home and on tour. Manage transportation, storage, rental, and labor needs for productions at home and on tour.
1. Artistic Administration: Generate detailed production paperwork for all GRB productions. This
includes, but is not limited to, running paperwork for Wardrobe, Props, Rail, Spots, Deck
Electricians, and Deck Carpenters. Paperwork should be updated continually and
redistributed throughout the process.
2. Manage all technical aspects of GRB productions, including lighting, sets, and crew.
3. Manage rentals and transportation of production elements from outside vendors, including
lighting packages, costumes, and sets.
4. Manage rentals of Grand Rapids Ballet productions to other entities.
5. Artistic Direction: Provide support and assistance to visiting choreographers, designers, and
resident artistic staff.
6. Build constructive and supportive relationships with the technical team, create an
environment that is conducive to creative governance and productive meetings; works with
choreographers on helping their vision come to the stage.
7. Provides leadership, guidance and support to the technical team ensuring good management
practices; resolves personnel issues; fosters healthy working relationships between crew,
dancers and artistic leadership; ensures team work and collaboration.
8. Attend and participate in technical cueing sessions and scene change rehearsals in the
theater with designers and staff.
9. Ensure the archival video library, equipment and checkout system is monitored and kept
10. Maintains stock of rehearsal/performance supplies and materials, i.e. music, spike tape,
flashlights, first aid supplies, etc.
1. Other duties as assigned.
General Direction: Plans and arranges own work. Uses a wide range of procedures to accomplish assigned objectives.
Advanced supervision: Determine work assignments, priorities, and procedures for subordinates.
Responsible for assigning, scheduling, and ensuring the quality and quantity of work. Approves time off and schedule adjustments. Provides training and coaching.
Education & Experience:
1. High School diploma and Bachelor of Arts degree (Performing Arts)
2. 4-5 years professional theater experience in similar position.
3. Driver’s License, preferably a chauffer’s License, and have access to a vehicle for
transportation to and from business related events.
4. Ability to drive a large vehicle and up to a 26’ truck.
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Ability to read music.
2. Know basic dance vocabulary. Basic knowledge of dance is helpful.
3. Advanced knowledge of Theatrical Productions, technical as well as performance.
4. Excellent communication skills – written, oral, and visual. Ability to effectively interact with a
diverse range of personalities.
5. Understanding of ETC Light boards, QLab, Word, Excel, and some Photoshop and Resolume
6. Ability to make the best decision for all aspects of a production in time sensitive situations.
Objectively evaluates alternatives. Consistently select the alternative which most effectively
7. Is willing to make decisions; is willing to be held accountable for the results of decisions. Is
able to perceive and diagnose the symptoms of problems; is able to clearly identify and
8. Ability to work long hours and work with a flexible schedule.
9. Must possess sufficient strength and stamina to lift and carry up to 50 pounds. Must be able
to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting, bending, standing, climbing,
10. Ability to work safely in an environment containing potentially hazardous electrical
equipment, fumes, and/or materials. Must be willing to travel and work at various sites. May
have to work at heights, around moving machinery, and with exposure to noise, vibration,
1. Management: Ability to achieve desired outcomes by organizing individuals and
setting goals and priorities to deliver results.
2. Organized: Ability to be structured and methodical in working skills, balancing multiple
projects, and prioritizing.
3. Decision Making: Ability to select an effective course of action by understanding issues,
comparing solutions and drawing conclusions to resolve problems.
4. Problem Solving: Ability to recognize courses of action which can be taken to handle
problems or potential problems, and applying contingency plans to solve those problems.
Creatively finding the solution while managing multiple priorities under stressful situations.
5. Safety Awareness: Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety and
uphold safety standards outlined by safety management.
6. Patience: Ability to display good-nature tolerance of delay or adversity, and not being hasty
when acting under strain.
7. Interpersonal: Able to disseminate information to staff and design team in a clear manner
8. Project Management: Ability to demonstrate an understanding of planning, organizing,
delegation, staffing, directing and controlling work tasks.
9. Self Motivated: Ability to reach a goal or perform a task with little supervision or direction.