Grand Rapids Ballet’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee, comprised of members from the Grand Rapids Ballet Board of Directors, Artistic Director, Executive Director, School Director, dancers, and staff members, is dedicated to expanding the experience of world-class dance and artistic excellence. Our DEI Committee is committed to examining our efforts, seeking out all voices in our community, and creating actions to be a more inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible cultural organization.
We acknowledge that the work of the DEI committee will be ever-evolving, and as such, our goals will continue to transform over time. Today, our committee is dedicated to working to accomplish the following goals:
- To serve as a resource to achieve our goal of creating diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible performances, programming, and content for our audiences.
- To encourage and facilitate our engagement with the local communities that may not otherwise have access or resources to come to our performances and classes.
- To continue advising the organization’s efforts to actively diversify its workforce, implement equity in operating procedures, and promote inclusivity in the workplace culture.
- To acknowledge and examine that inequity exists and is perpetuated within ballet, and to actively work to address and transform what has historically been culturally limited, focusing instead on promoting arts equality within our community.
- To recognize that our DEI committee and members of our organization benefit from inherent and personal forms of privilege and to work towards examining how that informs our work by actively seeking input from perspectives of individuals beyond our committee.
- To support the next generation of DEI champions by facilitating and encouraging diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility within Grand Rapids Ballet School and the Junior Company.
- To work in collaboration with the Board of Directors to obtain their endorsement for change.